Student support services


The School of Advanced Study has been allocated quota places in the following intercollegiate Halls of Residence for full-time students who have been offered a place of study:

Halls of Residence

Room Type

Cost per week (£)

No. of rooms available

International Hall

Single Shared Bathroom



Nutford House

Large Single Shared Bathroom



Nutford House

Single Shared Bathroom



Connaught Hall

Single Shared Bathroom



For further details about the application procedure and to download an application form, please visit the Intercollegiate Halls website (Please ensure that you download the application form for postgraduate students)

How to Apply

Students must submit applications for Halls places via the School of Advanced Study Registry, using the Halls application form [DOCX]. The Registry will then nominate students for a place based on their preferences and the availability. Please note that students should not send applications directly to the Accommodation Bureau during the quota stage. Early application is advised as there is competition for places and a waiting list will be introduced once the places have been filled.

Please contact the SAS Registry for further details of the application process for disabled, family-sized or couples accommodation, which fall outside the School’s quota. Part-time students with disabilities that prevent them from studying on a full-time basis are eligible to apply for Halls accommodation.

Postgraduate Students Application form for SAS Halls of Residence [DOCX]  

2016-2017 SAS Halls of Residence Application Procedures [DOC]

2016-2017 Alternative Accommodation Options [DOC]

Housing Advice

The University of London Housing Services offers practical help and advice to students and has access to competitively priced private accommodation. In particular, the UoL Housing Services Property Management Unit offers a range of managed self-catering accommodation for full-time postgraduate students. For further information, please visit the University of London Housing Services website at

Late-Summer Places

From mid-September each academic year students may apply directly to the Residences for unallocated places. The UoL Intercollegiate Halls Bureau operates a centralised ‘Waiting List’ day, which usually takes place on the second Friday in September. Depending on the residence, full-time students, including those not in their first year of study in 2016/17, can apply for unallocated spaces at any hall (on that day only).  Part-time students with disabilities that prevent them from studying on a full-time basis are also eligible to apply. Further detailed information about the Waiting List day will be made available on the University of London’s Intercollegiate Halls of Residence webpage at the beginning of September.

Alternative Accommodation

 Please see Alternative Accommodation Options information sheet [PDF] for further details.

Contact us

Registry and Advice Centre, University of London,
Ground, Senate House, South Block, Malet Street, London, WC1E 7HU
Telephone: (+44) (0)207 862 8873 | Email: | Website:

Health care

All School students may register for free National Health care with their local doctor (GP surgery). You may wish to register with one of the two local GP surgeries near to the School:

  • Central Institutions Health Service at 20 Gower Street, London WC1E 6DP, T: +44 (0)20 7636 7628.
  • Bedford Square Medical Centre at Bloomsbury Street, London WC1B 3QU, T: +44 (0) 207 7128.

Alternatively, search for your local doctor or dentist on the NHS Choices website.

Student welfare: advice and guidance

Academic advice

Course tutors are responsible for guiding you through your degree and helping you with any personal or administrative problems. If this proves unsuitable, contact the School Registry or your Institute Manager who will be able to advise you on an alternative.

Personal safety

London is one of the most interesting and vibrant capital cities in the world; it is also one of the safest. However, as in any large, busy city, crime is a problem so you do need to take care about personal safety and looking after your belongings.


Students may find the following contact numbers useful:

General welfare advice

  • Nightline (18:00-08:00): T: +44 (0)20 7631 0101

Legal advice

Counselling services

  • Waterloo Counselling Service: offers a general counselling service as well as ethnic counselling. Barley Mow Clinic, Frazier Street, London SE1 7BD. T: +44 (0)20 7928 3462. Please note that there is a cost for this service.

Advice on mental health issues

Advice on debt


Three graduates wearing robes and mortarboards on graduation day

Learn more about our outstanding master's degree courses in art history, Commonwealth studies, English and American literature and language, history, law, modern languages, and refugee protection and human rights.


Man studying in library using his laptop surrounded by books

Learn more about our outstanding research degree programmes in art history, Commonwealth studies, English and American literature and language, history, law, modern languages, and refugee protection and human rights.


Our short courses  let you engage in depth with a subject that interests you. Learn more about our offerings in palaeography, literature, book studies, and the protection of refugees.